If you are an active WIC participant, you may already know about its incredible service of providing nutritious food for women, children, and infants. Did you know that some of the major retailers in the U.S. accept WIC benefits? You may have come across our blog on WIC payments at Publix, and now I will tell you the answer to Does Target take WIC and how you can access some healthy food options with it!
You can easily use WIC benefits to buy eligible foods at Target, as they are accepted at all its locations nationwide. You would be happy to know that you can choose from an extensive range of eligible food products at Target. It also offers a self-checkout facility to pay using your WIC card. Amazon, Walmart, and Safeway are just a few retailers that take WIC benefits online.
Does Target Take WIC For All Items?
Yes, Target takes WIC benefits for all eligible food products. Target stores accept the benefits for the selected categories listed below. However, you can only buy non-food items such as cleaning supplies or diapers with WIC benefits.
- Whole grains
- Baby food
For all frequent buyers at Target, please note that the retail store is also open to EBT Food Stamps. Remember to read more about this on our site!
Which Target Accepts WIC Near Me?
WIC benefits can be used at Target stores anywhere in the country. Visit the WIC website and use the shop locator tool to find a Target outlet that accepts WIC in your region.
To discover a Target store nearby that takes WIC, enter your zip code and choose “Target” from the available list of participating retailers.
How To Pay With Wic Card At Target
WIC, or Women, Infants, and Children, is the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program term. The program offers federal funding to states for supplemental food items and health care referrals. It also aims to provide nutrition education for low-income pregnant women, breastfeeding and non-breastfeeding females going through the post-partum stage. Kids under the age of five that are at risk for malnutrition can also benefit from it.
You have to follow these steps to make the most of a WIC card at Target:
- Let the cashier know that you’ll be paying with WIC. Then, hand the card to the cashier or use the credit card machine yourself.
- After that, you will enter a 4-digit PIN into the credit card machine. You can use your benefits to buy eligible products from your WIC food list. It works the same as using a credit or debit card to purchase.
- Remember that the register will start beeping and won’t accept WIC payment if an ineligible product is scanned. So, for ineligible products, you must make additional payments. Before you go grocery shopping, double-check your list of food items.
- You’ll be given a WIC card and benefits once you’ve been approved and registered for the program, and you can use them to buy Target-eligible food products.
Self-Checkout: Target self-checkout supports WIC cards for the purchase of eligible items. It functions in the same way as a standard checkout lane. Scan what you bought at the credit card machine and swipe your card. Then put in your 4-digit PIN. WIC will pay for all eligible products. However, you will need to pay separately for non-eligible products.
Target App: Unfortunately, the app does not support the WIC card. It is only accessible in-store at the self-checkout or the register.
Target Website: Tough luck; the card does not function on the Target website. It can only be used in-store at the cash register or self-checkout.
Perks of Using WIC At Target
To make it easy for you and get a better sense of what Target and WIC have in store for you, we have outlined here some benefits of using WIC at Target:
- Target stores are usually situated in convenient urban and suburban locations, making it easier for WIC members to shop for food nearby.
- Target has an extensive range of eligible products, so you can easily find any food item you need.
- You can also save money on groceries and your children’s dietary needs by using the available discounts at the store.
Things To Keep In Mind When Using WIC At Target
Although it’s convenient to use WIC at Target, there are still a few things to consider when using your benefits. Here are some recommendations for getting the most the WIC benefits at Target:
- Bring your WIC ID card: You should always take your WIC ID card with you to the Target store. Otherwise, you would only be able to redeem your benefits with it.
- Keep track of your balance: Before you start shopping, know your WIC benefit balance which will help you avoid overspending and ensure that you have sufficient benefits to pay for your purchases.
- Separating the non-eligible items: If you buy both WIC-eligible and non-eligible items, you must divide your assets at checkout. You have to do this as WIC benefits are not valid to pay for non-eligible items such as diapers or some cleaning supplies.
- Paying for non-eligible items: You can use your WIC benefits to buy food items, but you will need to pay separately for non-food items with another form of payment with taxes.
- Claim your discounts: If you need more time to go to the store or to buy in person, don’t worry! You can also take benefit of your values online.
What Other Stores Accept WIC Online?
Target is a giant retailer that takes WIC, but many other stores also accept WIC benefits online. Some of these include:
- Fresh Direct
It is essential to keep in mind, though, that each state has its terms and conditions on WIC purchases. The WIC agency in your state can tell you if certain WIC purchases are permitted in your area.
- A major retailer like Target makes it easy for WIC members to use their benefits at Target locations nationwide.
- Target accepts WIC benefits for all qualified food items. You can maximize the program’s benefits at Target by complying with its terms and conditions.
- WIC participants have a wide range of options for using their benefits since several other retailers, like Walmart, Amazon, and FreshDirect, are also accepting WIC gifts.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Does Walmart take WIC?
Yes, Walmart takes WIC benefits for specific food items. Since Walmart is among the most prominent retailers who accept WIC, you can easily use their benefits there. But it’s essential to confirm the WIC-approved list of eligible foods for your state to determine which products are allowed to buy with your benefits since not all items in the store, like Target, are suitable for purchase with WIC.
Which stores accept WIC in California?
In California, many retailers and stores take WIC benefits, making it simple for you to get ahold of nutritious groceries for yourself and your family. Safeway, Walmart, Target, and Vons are renowned supermarket labels accepting California WIC benefits.
Can you use WIC at CVS?
Most CVS stores accept WIC payments, but some locations still need to install the facility. Therefore, it is recommended that you check with your local CVS before visiting.
Ali Anees is a professional brand marketer focused on enhancing customer experiences. His focus is on conducting all-rounded research on U.S. retailers and services to provide updated information for our consumers.
He has a background in strategizing and developing marketing tactics for large Consumer Packaged Goods organizations. His understanding of the industry is beneficial when it comes to finding detailed and accurate information for our consumers.